Chapel, between 1522 and 1524

  • French

Limestone and stained glass

  • Overall (vault to keystone): 15 ft. 9 3/8 inches (4 m 81 cm) Overall (inner walls, width x length): 116 1/8 × 130 5/16 inches (295 cm × 3 m 31 cm)

Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph H. Booth

23.147

On View

  • European: Medieval and Renaissance Gothic Chapel

Department

European Sculpture and Dec Arts

This late Gothic chapel, constructed in the early sixteenth century by a noble family for private devotion, is an example of French “flamboyant” architecture, so called because of the elegant flamelike window tracery that characterizes the style. The Gothic period was a time of great change in religious devotion. By the fourteenth century, private worship in individual chapels was increasingly common for the upper classes. This chapel was originally the central feature projecting from the façade of the Herbéviller chateau, indicating its symbolic importance. The stained glass installed in the axial windows over the altar and in the tracery panels is original to the chapel. The medallions installed in the lower windows are the fifteenth-century German pieces added in Detroit with modern strapwork surrounds.

Commissioned by Jean Bayer de Boppard, seigneur of Lannoy, and his wife, Eve d'Isenberg (Chateau de Herbéviller, Lorraine, France)

by 1921, (G. T. DeMotte), (Paris,France)

1923-present, gift to the Detroit Institute of Arts (Detroit, Michigan, USA)

Ambroise, Émile. "Le Chateau de Lannoy." Revue Lorraine Illustrée 4, no. 1 (1909): 60–64, p. 63 (ill.). Ambroise, Émile. Les Vieux Chateaux de la Vesouze. Nancy, 1910, p. 104 (ill.). H[eil], W[alter]. “French Gothic Chapel.” Bulletin of the Detroit Institute of Arts 9, no. 1 (October 1927): 1–2, pp. 1–2. Robinson, Francis W. and E. P. Richardson. “Recent Acquisitions of Ancient and Medieval Art.” Bulletin of the Detroit Institute of Arts 31, no. 3/4 (1951–1952): 57–80, p. 57 (ill.). Barnet, Peter. “Introduction” Bulletin of the Detroit Institute of Arts 67, no. 1 (1992): 1–5, front cover (ill.), pp. 4–5. Neagley, Linda Elaine. "The Late Gothic Chapel from the Chateau at Herbéviller." Bulletin of the Detroit Institute of Arts 67, no. 1 (1992): 6–17, pp. 6–17. Raguin, Virginia Chieffo. "Three German Saints and a Taste for German Expressionism: Valentiner at the Detroit Institute of Arts." Gesta 37, no. 2 (1998): 244–250, p. 249. Gavrilovich, Peter and Bill McGraw. The Detroit Almanac: 300 Years of Life in the Motor City. Detroit, 2000, pp. 423, 424 (ill.). Abt, Jeffrey. Valuing Detroit’s Art Museum: A History of Fiscal Abandonment and Rescue. Detroit, 2017, pp. xv, 58, fig. 2.8 (ill.).

French, Chapel, between 1522 and 1524, limestone and stained glass. Detroit Institute of Arts, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph H. Booth, 23.147.