Between 1959 and 1961, di Suvero made his first group of sculptures, seven large works constructed mostly of scavenged wood from nearby razed buildings, but also including chains and ropes. Full of burly energy and unlikely grace, Tom projects the powerful gestures of the Abstract Expressionists into three dimensions.
Inscribed, titled with nails: TOM
Samuel J. Wagstaff, Jr.
1974-present, purchase by the Detroit Institute of Arts (Detroit, Michigan, USA)
Monte, James K. Mark di Suvero. Exh. cat., Whitney Museum of American Art. New York, 1975, pp. 20-21 (ill.).
Bulletin of the DIA 53, no. 2 (1975): 59 (ill.).
Mark di Suvero, Tom, 1959, wood, metal, rope, and wire cable. Detroit Institute of Arts, Founders Society Purchase, Friends of Modern Art Fund, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Buhl Ford II Fund and contribution from Samuel J. Wagstaff Jr., 74.5.